Friday, August 15, 2008

Life

Life is what happens when you stand still. The only thing constant in the world is change. One of my best friends recently received some very bad news. His mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is not expected to live much longer. While all of this was going on, his father was also diagnosed with prostate cancer. He hadn't called me to tell me the news. When he finally called, I felt hurt because I thought that our friendship was stronger than that, meaning that he would have called me immediatedly with all of this going on in his life. After thinking about it for some time though, I came to the conclusion that he was only dealing with his personal feelings and acceptance of the situation and he would get with me later, which he did. Once he told me about what was going on, I totally could relate. You see, my grandfather (my mother's dad) died from prostate cancer in 1993, my grandmother (my mother's mother) was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2000, and my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in the latter part of 2004. So, I definitely know what he is going through and I explained that to him. I had to understand also that I was not meant to be his savior during this time of trial and tribulation, but just a friend with an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on, which is exactly what I am doing. It's hard for me to see him like this and going through this hard time in his life; however, we all must deal with traumatic things in life. My friend was always the happy go lucky person that kept everyone else upbeat when we were feeling down. I have realized that I am the angel that God sent his way. I told him that I keep him and his family in my prayers (which I do) and that the Lord makes no mistakes. I love you T!

No comments: